Massachusetts Nursing Home Neglect And Abuse Claims
Many nursing homes struggle to provide the level of care and security that their elderly residents need. High employee turnover, inadequate training procedures or poor budgeting decisions can all play a role in situations of nursing home neglect or abuse. If you have suffered from negligent or abusive treatment at a nursing home, or if you are concerned about elder abuse or the safety of a parent in a residential care setting, please contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Ross & Ross, P.C., in Springfield to schedule a free consultation about your rights and legal options.
Nursing homes are extensively regulated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, yet inspections and enforcement proceedings are not always sufficient to ensure that a particular facility is operating according to the requirements of its license or in compliance with all applicable regulations. Examples of the kinds of neglect or abuse that can occur at nursing homes and support a claim for damages include the following:
- Inadequate supervision leaving vulnerable residents unattended in hallways or bathrooms
- Unsafe property conditions
- Mistakes in medication
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Failure to treat or prevent infection
- Untreated decubitus resulting in Stage III or Stage IV bedsores
- Injuries caused by falls while walking, from bed or from lifts
- Assault, sexual abuse or financial exploitation
Massachusetts law requires that civil claims for damages against nursing homes be presented to a medical tribunal, which acts as a screen to help ensure that unfounded or nuisance claims do not make it into court. Because of this requirement that nursing home neglect claims show a reasonable chance of prevailing at an early stage, our attorneys work closely with a nurse consultant to make sure that the evidence of neglect or abuse is sufficient to satisfy the medical tribunal. In many cases, this can help promote an early settlement on favorable terms.
Contact Us Right Away
To learn more about our experience with nursing home neglect and abuse litigation, please contact a personal injury lawyer at the AV-rated* law firm of Ross & Ross, P.C., in Springfield.
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings evaluate two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.